Us oldies, occasionally forget that newly weds may not know the ins and outs of Wedding Anniversary gifts etiquette. There’s lots of social conventions that surround them. So here’s a quick run down of the etiquette.
Wedding Anniversary Gifts Etiquette
- Gift giving is not mandatory, commemorating the event however is highly desirable.
- The Couple, typically, instigate the early years Anniversary celebrations.
- The couple’s children organise later major wedding anniversaries.
- Major milestone Wedding Anniversaries occur every 5th year after the 20th year.
- The Major Wedding Anniversaries are 25th, 40th, 50th, 60th and 75th years.
- Traditionally gift giving is often themed or made of a specific material which differs for each year. The Traditional Wedding Anniversary List shows these materials for each year.
- A Modern version of the traditional list was provided to produce a more comprehensive list to cover more anniversary years. This runs side by side with the traditional list allowing you to choose gifts from either list.
- Other organisations have released other Wedding Anniversary lists. The only other two that are notable are the Gemstone Anniversary List and the appropriate flower list.
That’s it really. If you still have a question surrounding wedding anniversary gifts etiquette then please check our etiquette section as we have lots of help there. If all else fails drop us a line and we’ll try and help.
Finally, we’ve had many discussions on whether it is a requirement to thank people for wedding anniversary gifts. The simple answer is always yes, it is good wedding anniversary gifts etiquette. How you thank them will vary a lot depending upon your social circle. Really the easiest way to answer this is to refer back to your wedding, how you did it them should still hold true now.